Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Dinner 2009: What's your poison?

During the Christmas period it would be fair to say one hears the pop of a cork more often than at any other time during the year. The celebratory and frivolous nature of the season also gives us the excuse to reach deeper into our pockets and buy the bottle of champagne or malt whisky you've been eyeing the rest of the year; I usually term it: 'my gift to myself'! This has induced me to wonder, in the run-up to the big night - the reason we have to suffer the endless symphony of Carols on every radio station and in every store for two months prior to the date itself - what we'll be drinking when all the family are together for Christmas dinner.

Now, while I've had the wonderful opportunity of having tasted some fantastic wines over the last few weeks: Clos de l'oratoire Chateauneuf du pape 2007 (big, bold and meaty - maybe a year or two too early), Charles Heidsieck NV champagne (nicely balanced yeast and fruit, always fun) and the jaw-droppingly magnificent Banfi Brunello di Montalcino 1998 (beautifully smooth, overriding notes of liquorish and black fruit on the nose and palate) I've had my eye on a certain beautiful, but shy and humble Tuscan wine: Tommasi's Poggio Al Tufo 2006. I have had the pleasure of trying it already, and know it'll be a winner. With powerful notes of violet on the nose, soft, but noticeable tannins and chocolate, plums and black cherry on the palate - it'll work just as well before dinner as an aperitif, as it will with the turkey and trimmings.


Let me now ask all of you readers - and I encourage you to use the Comment function under the article, or to email me at kurtdettman@hotmail.com - what is it that you're thinking about getting for your guests (or just yourself!) this Christmas?

No comments: