Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Food and Wine Pairing: Week 1 - Fish

Let me begin by saying: Happy New Year from makemineawine! I hope this new decade has started on a real high for you and your family!

With Christmas and New Year being times during which food plays a central role - in my family at least! - in the season's festivities, I thought I might attempt to unravel what to a lot of people is a really tricky and somewhat intimidating subject: Wine and food pairing.

While it may once have been a simple task, the extent of media coverage has mystified to a large degree, what should be a very easy and enjoyable part of a meal. While one magazine or television chef says one thing, the next, something completely different! Let me be the first to tell you that it need not be a scary or overwhelming experience at all. Stick to a few basic principles and most of all, let your own experience of a particular type of food, and what you know about a certain wine govern how you go about choosing your wine. And remember, while it is true that there are some wines that do suit particular types of food more than others, no choice is wrong - always go with what you like!

Week 1: The Slippery Subject of Fish


First, consider the fish you are eating: is it rich and oily like Mackerel, or light, firm and drier, like Mahi-Mahi (dorado)? Is it being cooked in a creamy, rich sauce, or simply sauteed on it's own?

As a generalization, a dry White would be best partner for most fish, although Tuna - as the 'red meat' of fish is well-partnered with a well-built red: Pinot Noir, Zinfandel or a new-world Shiraz for example.

With a creamy, white sauce I'd suggest a rich, oaked Chardonnay - the richer the sauce, the more oak, I've found. With a firm-fleshed light fish, Sauvignon Blanc - French, or NZ (Marlborough for example) are two which I prefer - or, one of my personal favorites, a zesty Chenin Blanc from the France's Loire Valley, or South Africa. For Salmon, I'd recommend an aromatic white like Viognier, Pinot Gris (pronounced [pee-no-gree]) or a dry Riesling. Or, if like me, you're a fan, Rosé; be it still or if you're feeling in the mood, sparkling. Provence in the South of France would be my first port of call.

I hope this has demystified somewhat, the sometimes slippery subject of pairing wine and fish. And please let me know any new and exciting couplings you've had the chance to stumble on or better yet, experimented with! Either comment at the bottom of this blog, or email me at kurtdettman@hotmail.com

Cheers!

No comments: